We all know that having high stats on your bench is a universal bragging right. It separates the amateurs from the “pros” and we all know which camp you’d rather be in. So here’s one really simple trick that will immediately increase your bench.
- Lay down on the bench in your usual position. In a later post we shall explain how to correctly position yourself for the lift, but for now just laying down will be fine.
- Make sure your shoulders are almost underneath the bar. This will help when taking the bar off the rack – the bar should not be taken off the rack by a spotter.
- This is where the trick comes in. Instead of grabbing the bar where you usually would, close your eyes and reach your arms out straight in front of you. Where your hands are on the bar is roughly where you should be gripping it for your lifts.
- A very slight adjustment left or right is fine, just make sure it is only an inch or two.
- This should feel like a natural position, and it isn’t too strenuous on your shoulder joints.
In the future we will be covering bench press technique in more detail so make sure to follow the blog so you don’t miss out! In the meantime, we’d love to answer any questions you may have regarding the bench press. Just leave your questions in the comments box below and we’ll try answer them for you.